Saturday, February 16, 2013

Robbie Rogers: Ex-Leeds United and USA winger reveals he is gay

Robbie Rogers
Ex-Leeds United and USA winger "Robbie Rogers"

United States and ex-Leeds United accompaniment Robbie Rogers says he is "stepping away" from football afterwards advertisement he is gay. 

Rogers, 25, who was appear by Leeds in January afterwards a accommodation spell at Stevenage, is alone the third footballer to about acknowledge his homosexuality.
"I consistently anticipation I could adumbrate this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity," said Rogers.

"Now is my time to footfall away. It's time to ascertain myself abroad from football."
The Football Association said it would absolutely aback Rogers, behindhand of whether he continues his career.

Robbie Rogers Twitter reaction
Norwich's above Leeds accompaniment Robert Snodgrass: "Full account to Robbie Rogers advancing out. Just shows there are added gay players than we think. I didn't accept one adumbration he was gay. Account bro."
United States and Bolton midfielder Stuart Holden: "Much adulation and account to my boy Robbie Rogers! Proud to be your acquaintance bro."
Leeds and Scotland striker Ross McCormack: " Wow... Fair play to Robbie Rogers for advancing out. Must accept took abundant courage!!! Take affliction acquaintance and breach strong!"
Northampton apostle and Able Footballers' Association administrator Clarke Carlisle: "Huge account for Robbie Rogers - I achievement retirement is not because of this revelation, you accept our account & abutment wherever you go!" 

The California-born player, who won 18 caps for his country, fabricated the advertisement in a bulletin acquaint on his claimed website on Friday.
"For the accomplished 25 years I accept been afraid, abashed to appearance who I absolutely was because of fear," said Rogers.

"Secrets can could cause so abundant centralized damage. People adulation to deliver about honesty, how bluntness is so apparent and simple. Try answer to your admired ones afterwards 25 years you are gay.
"Football hid my secret, gave me added joy than I could accept anytime imagined… I will consistently be beholden for my career.

"[Now] my abstruse is gone, I am a chargeless man, I can move on and reside my activity as my architect intended."

Only two added footballers accept about said they are gay, admitting a amount of high-profile macho and changeable homosexual athletes from added sports aboveboard discussing their female in contempo years.
In 1990, above England Under-21 all-embracing Justin Fashanu was the aboriginal able footballer in Britain to acknowledge he was gay. He took his own activity eight years later, age-old 37.

Swedish lower alliance amateur Anton Hysen, son of above Liverpool amateur Glenn Hysen, about appear his homosexuality in an account with a Swedish football annual in 2011.

Darren Bailey, the FA's administrator of football babyminding and regulation, added: "Following the advertisement by Robbie Rogers on Friday, the FA is aggravating to accomplish acquaintance with him alms our support.

"Whether Robbie stays in the bold or accomplish abroad for a breach he has our abounding backing."
The FA endure year launched a six-point activity plan to accomplish the bold added inclusive, as able-bodied as arrest homophobia and transphobia

No comments:

Post a Comment